>So, I guess, politeness but firmness -- or the Radio
>Shack gadget -- are the best solutions.

My state (Mass.) forbids telemarketing calls from outside the state, which has
been a big help.  We still get a few -- often from newspapers wanting us to
subscribe  -- but only about 1 or 2 a month.  When these folks call, they say
"How are you?" and I say "Not interested" and hang up.  I do recommend
pressuring your state legislatures to forbid calls as Mass. does.  Delda White