There was a book published a couple of years ago (The Etiology of
Parkinson's Disease, by Ellenberg, Koller and Langston) that was based on
an extensive study of medical literature and other sources that concluded
that PD was essentially a new development that came about shortly before
its initial description by james Parkinson in 1817.  Since that is around
the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the hypothesis (still going
strong) about pesticides/industrial chemicals being linked to PD was an
obvious one.  Ellenberg, Koller and Langston even examined descriptions of
illness in literature (plays, poetry, the Bible, etc.) going back to the
Greeks and found nothing they recognized as PD, although there were
certainly references to palsies, etc.  Interesting stuff!

Carole Cassidy

P.S.  For the readers on the list and those who knew of Harold Klawans, he
wrote several fascinating books about neurologic disease over the years.
The one that comes to mind is (I think) called Toscanni's Fumble.