Barbara,
My husband coughs alot at night and sometimes during the day. It is more that
he no longer swallows his saliva automatically than an excess of phlegm, but
maybe they are related. In PD, one loses the swallow reflex and has to
remember to swallow  consciously.  . During the day when this happens, he just
drips saliva on his chest, but if he is reclining, he coughs and chokes and
clears his throat and acts unhappy. He complains to the doctor every time we
go about his cough,  so I know it bothers him. But, his lungs are clear and
his heart is strong, and if I tell him to swallow, he usually stops coughing.
He just can't seem to remember that when he coughs, he should consciously
swallow and it will get better. I have to tell him every time. I don't know if
your husband's problem is in any way related to Ken's, but you might try
telling him to swallow and see what happens.
Barbara Smith,CG/Ken/70/17