Ivan M Suzman wrote:

> Hi Bruce--and listmembers,
>
>  > It also gave me a chance to think about how very angry I am that our $100
> million Udall LAW is STILL unfunded!!
>

>   I distinguished between the "Parkinson's research" the NIH CLAIMS is
> already being spent--and the research that is the Udall law's intent.
> The $45 million figure  that PAN talks about is not actually COORDINATED
> research on Parkinson's.  Rather, it is research on many different areas
> of brain chemistry and cells, and on other diseases.  It is not all under
> a single Parkinson's umbrella.
>
>   That $45 million that might help to understand Parkinson's, but, many
> of the included grants, make NO mention of Parkinson's, SPECIFICALLY.
>
>    I also called Paul Smedberg of the APDA at 1-800-684-2732--he said he
> will send a letter to Maine's Congressman Baldacci, asking Baldacci to
> submit an AMENDMENT specifically intended to provide the $100 million we
> deserve.  I figure we have nothing to lose!
>
>     I've reached the point of refusing to be told to wait.  That is a
> HUGE mistake.
>
>   Ivan S.
>Hi folks,
I got good news and I got bad news. I got a reply from Senator Arlen
Spektor today.  I am sure it is the same form letter that everybody who
wrote to  him got.  That's okay.  At least it means that somebody in his
office is aware that sufficient people are concerned about PD to warrant
the creation of a form letter.  It's what he says that  arouses mixed
feelings. Yes, he supports the cause of Parkinson's research, but under
the aegis of NIH; he calls them the "Jewel in the crown of the federal
government"
I suppose some would say half a loaf is better  than no bread,, but I
don't think we whould leave it at that. Somehow we have to separate the
peaches from the plums - and no more nectarines!
Hilary Blue