>I wonder
>how much pain, discomfort, and mental anguish is caused by these Horribly
>Managed Organizations? Are there any lawyers who would care to get involved?
>(Am I starting trouble here?...GOOD!) [log in to unmask]

AMEN, Ken!  My husband and I belong to two different HMO's and neither one is
very good.  I tried to become a member of my husband's -- they refused me on
the grounds that I have arthritis.  When I pointed out that I'm not being
treated for it, they did a quick tap dance and said it's because I
occasionally take valium.  But they accepted a friend of mine who takes
Prozac.  When state law changed and this HMO had to accept anyone who applied,
they said they'd charge me $430/month (the previous premium was $169/month).
I'd dearly love to see these wretches out of business.  They lie, cheat and
steal.  I feel as though I cannot file a formal complaint against them because
now they're my husband's HMO.

This same sterling outfit flatly refused to approve visits to the psychiatrist
and psychologist for my husband -- no reason given.  Therefore, we were out
another $200/month.  Last week, our primary asked them again and this time
they approved the visits at once.  What is going on?  Could it be that our
state legislature is beginning to take action against them (which it is) and
they're a tiny bit nervous?

Anyway, the only people I know of who are happy with these disgusting money-
grubbers are those making money off them, and they're making plenty.  Doctors
are bitterly unhappy and patients are, in some cases, dying, because of the
refusal to permit sensible treatment.  I'd love to see these rotten HMOs out
of business and their owners and many of their employees punished.

If anyone has any ideas how to achieve that, I'd be thrilled to hear them.

Delda White CG Bob 66/1