Bill, I understand that anytime large amounts of money,  are floating around
in an organization, there will be attempts to control  and it and to grow it
into larger amounts. If it involves merchandise, it is not of great concern to
the general public. If the prices go too high for the product, the customer
can go to a competitor......that's business. When the product or service is
medical care, and it is treated like any other business,  lives are  lost and
unnecessary suffering and discomfort are considered acceptable, as long as the
bottom line is on the increase.  I believe that a doctor's expertise should
determine treatment, working  with the patient in a private  setting. I don't
think a businessman, who is not trained as a doctor, should be  in the
picture.  I don't think doctors like to work for HMO's unless they have no
other choice. If I were a doctor, I would not want to be second guessed by
anyone without credentials, or told to modify my treatments to save money for
the HMO. When people have to cut pills in half , when it is NOT reccommended,
to be able to afford the pills, that is just the tip of the iceberg!   I
imagine the funeral industry must love HMO's..............