We must be thankful for the people who do their job well, and care about
others.  I really don't blame doctors for getting "burned out" , they have a
stressful life, and if the beeper goes off at 3 or 4 a.m.they may have to make
a quick trip to the hospital. when most of the world still gets to sleep a few
more hours. In the old days, even mediocre doctors made plenty of money and
had to find ways to shelter it. Now most doctor's offices must have a staff to
process insurance claims, schedule appointments etc. By the time the bills and
salaries are paid, the malpractice premiums are paid, and the rent or mortgage
payments are sent out, the doctor has problems making the payments on his 81
Yugo! I may exaggerate, as usual, but I know of several doctors who have
retired early, or gone into other non-medical careers , rather than work hard
for little income.  I am sure that HMO's haven't helped with their referral
requirements, refusal to pay for certain procedures, and constant pressure to
keep charges low, so the HMO can make more profits. By the time the government
gets done with the HMO's we may see a bunch of them close up shop.
If they can provide quality medical treatment, at a reduced cost, They better
be reeady  to prove it to Uncle Sam!