Tue, 21 Jul 98 17:06:13 -0400
Barbara Patterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<<<< I'm open to suggestions.... Barb >>>>

.......AND.......

Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Camilla H.Flintermann wrote:

<<<<  Friends-- by having the campus techies DELETE massages from the
Sampers, P. Kidd, and Gev.Irani >>>>

<<<< Murray Charters was right when he said the problem was with ATTACHMENTS
on their" MS Outlook 8.5" mail programs--apprently the system sends ths
*signature etc* as an attachment, and the sender isn't even aware of this!

Hello Barbara P., Camilla and all,

I've been looking at these "trouble-making" messages, received in "bin"
format, and I found a remarkable coincidence in the SUBJECT-lines:

Sampers: sun 19 jul, 09:23:31 - 04.00  SUBJ: NOT READ: RE: INTERNET MESSAGE

P. Kidd: sun 19 jul, 12:51:06 - 03.00  SUBJ:     READ: RE: INTERNET MESSAGE

G.Irani: mon 20 jul, 17:39:13 + 05.30  SUBJ: NOT READ: RE: INTERNET MESSAGE

(appeared on the digest of 22 jul!!)
Sampers: wed 01 jul, 19:50:52 - 04.00  SUBJ:     READ:     SPEAKER

B. Bell: sat 25 jul, 18:53:40 - 07.00  SUBJ:     READ: RE: INTERNET MESSAGE

I remember an earlier message by the Sampers was also called: read: speaker.

Also remarkable is that there are NO original messages AND an attachment,
but only original messages sent AS attachment ONLY, converted into
"bin"-format. And the adding of "READ" and "NOT READ" seems significant.

I can NOT imagine they ALL gave the same subjectline.
So IMO it is a setting in MS Outlook 8.5
Although: this phenomena seems to appear and disappear again WITHOUT change
of settings!

(BTW: Are there Outlook 8.5-users that have NOT had these problems??)

Therefor it would IMO be useful, if the people mentioned would check in
their Mailbox-Out:
- Is there a message sent to the Listserver at the day and time mentioned?
- What was the subjectline?
- Are any settings different, that could have caused this?

Furthermore I suggest these people (and the NON-problem Outlook 8.5-users)
to compare their settings OFF-LIST!!, in a joined effort to resolve this
problem.

Last suggestion: call the MS-HELPDESK how this can happen and what you have
to do about it to make it work correctly with the listserver!!!

(It might also be a new protocol some providers do not work with yet??)

Hope this helps,  Hans.