From the onset of the disease "people who claimed to know" told me to expect
emotional expressions of distress far more frequently and with far more
force than pre diagnosis.  Whether they planted the idea, or whether my
decrease in dopamine is to blame (I'm not taking Sinemet) the prophecy has
been fulfilled.  At first I couldn't tell the difference between the river
of tears I was shedding daily in the early acceptance stages, and the river
of tears I was shedding at the impact of anything requiring a compassionate
response.  While my acceptance tears have to some extent abated, my
emotional response to situations is still as fragile and vulnerable as it
was 2 yrs. ago.  It caused me trouble one day in school when a student
confronted me in anger.  Another time I got yelled at by a teacher who was
herself quite out of control.  In both cases I started to cry and continued
for about a day and a half.
Right through my period 3 Gr. 10 English class.  They were worried that they
had caused my sadness.  When I reassured them they had not, that sometimes
really sad things happen and people, even teachers, cry, they felt okay and
the class got started.   Recently, though, I was cleaning up the family room
and my son had the tv on.  It was news time and they were showing the
funeral of the three little boys who were burned to death in Northern
Ireland. I immediately burst into wracking sobs that would not stop. (I've
mentioned in former posts that I do not watch tv.  I truly cannot bear the
violence.  It touches me at a place so fragile that I am helpless.  I seem
to have no thick skin whatever.  Television is definitely toxic for me.)
    So, to know this about myself is the beginning of control.  I do not
intentionally immerse myself in situations which will evoke these feelings.
(i.e. the new Spielberg movie is out for me.) I purposely withdraw from any
situation which feels like it's becoming confrontational. (Actually this has
had an enormous impact on my relations with, for example, store clerks.  I
never confront.   I am learning a whole new approach to negotiating prices
for services etc.  Mutual good will goes much farther and brings far better
results than the old confrontation style. )    And if a really emotional
experience catches me without warning, just jumps out of the bushes and land
in my face, and I'm in public, and there are a million people watching me,
well...... I just cry.
    Barb Rager