Barbara Patterson wrote:

> As you are all aware, sending attachments causes problems for many of our
> listmembers. Not only are they unable to read the message containing the
> attachment but also miss out on the rest of the messages from the list.
> I have been sending an 'alert' to many of our listmembers who send
> attachments...most of them reply that they will find out how to avoid
> doing that.  Others never reply or acknowledge receiving my message.
> Many other lists give their members one notice and then delete the
> offender the next time they send an attachment.  I don't really want to

This has been an increasing problem on many lists.  It does indeed
stem from the fact that the Microsoft mailers transmit RTF and HTML
attachments by default (I think that this represents Microsoft's
attempts to "take over" the Internet by changing the old standards of
"text only").  If anyone is using a Microsoft mailer such as Outlook
or Express, then one has to purposely change the default so that
plain text only is sent.

Some of these attachments are merely annoying.  Others, however, jam
up the lists, especially the Digests, and some even crash other
peoples' mailers (it does that to me occasionally).

My recommendation is that people who send attachments be warned
twice, each time being told how to re-set their mailer.  If they send
an attachment the third time, then I think they ought to be
unsubscribed.

Best,

Bob

ROBERT A. FINK, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  (510) 849-2555   FAX:  (510) 849-2557

WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"