"...all list members, as soon as you realize that it is a telemarkerter
[sic] on the line (usually within 5 or 10 words), say loud and clear
"I'm not interested, GOODBYE" and hang up the phone. They will
still be talking at that point but that is OK."

This from a person who obviously attended the Saddam Hussein School of
Human Communication Skills. Well, I'll let you in on a little secret:
most telemarketers are average, hard-working folks just struggling to
make a living -- in fact, many are single parents with little education,
working two or three jobs just to feed their kids. If you don't want to
be disturbed during your dinner, certainly not an unreasonable request,
you have a number of options: (1) unplug you phone  (2) subscribe to
voice messaging with your phone company and unplug your phone  (3)
purchase a "call screening" device from a company like Hello Direct or
(4) simply explain to the caller that it is your policy not to accept
phone solicitations, and then thank them for the call before you hang
up. That's right, thank them for the call. They're people too, and a
little effort to be more tolerant and patient with our fellow man goes a
long way.
Martin K. Bayne 48/4