There has been some fear, real or not, that the researchers who actively
campaign for additional NIH funds - public statements, congressional
testimony - encounter more problems with their NIH grant proposals than
those who do not actively campaign.  Something like "biting the hand that
feeds you."

                                Bob Dolezal