Dear Colleagues,
   In addition to having some reliable data on the numbers of PWP it would be useful to look at another level of the "big picture" on PD. It would be best if you would be willing to play a little mind game.Picture in your mind's eye a person with AIDS.....hold that image. Look at the picture carefully,notice any detail you think important. OX? Good Now get up and walk across the room and clear your mind of the person with AIDS. Next I want you to do the same routine with a PWP. OK? Now lets compare images. THIS IS WHAT I COME UP WITH

                 PERSON WITH AIDS                  PWP
AGE                     27                          64
SEX                    MALE                       FEMALE
AGE AT ONSET          YOUNG                         50
STYLE AT ONSET     DRAMATIC/SUDDEN               CHRONIC
OCCUPATION          PROFESSIONAL                  COLLEGE HOUSE MOTHER
REMINDS ME OF WHO  MY FRIENDS CHILDREN           MY AUNT MARGARET
LASTING IMAGE      THE YOUNGEST,BRIGHTEST        MY PRESENT SWEET LADY
                          OUR FUTURE

  I'm sure each of us had a different image but you got to give the AIDS community credit.They created an image of the kids next door. Hell your kids! The bright,the future of America. Just the issue that drove many people into the anti-war movement in Vietnam. Our young flowers were being plucked
  I don't know why I picked my Aunt Margaret except that I love her. There are 4 or more people in my own support group that I think of as examples of "essential thinkers" that we can't allow to slip away....a 35 year old woman with a 5 year old,a PhD, a DSi and a woman who gave up her successful business to take care of her husband

  Look above and tell me who you would give your money to if you weren't so well informed. What the AIDS community has managed to do is to create what, to steal from a title of one Dennis Greene's article, is known as a "Terrible Beauty". And for that you got to love them.

   we need to create a more accurate image of who our PWP really are and how do we do this? WHY WE HIRE SOME ACTIVISTS FROM THE AIDS CAMP WITH MONEY COMING FROM THE LARGE PD ORGANIZATIONS. AS I SEEM TO REMEMBER THE AIDS MONEY STARTED FLOWING WHEN THEIR NUMBERS WERE LESS THEN A 100,000**, ONE FIFTH OF OUR LOWEST ESTIMATES.THEY DID A WONDERFUL JOB AT PROJECTING FIGURES.By the way, this idea [of having the big organizations pay for every thing] is nothing new.It was most recently talked about on this list about a year ago,

          ** Please don't quote me on these figures. the theme is right but
the numbers may not be and I can't recall the source.

george