Hi friends,

   Rita Weeks and George Lussier's questions have caused me to re-arrange
and edit a post I sent earlier  about our  numbers as a PWP and CG
community.  The simple math below allows us to say that if the Udall Law
is FULLY funded, then  $100,00,000.00 would be invested  to help
10,000,000 persons in our commuinty-- $10.00 each.

  Here is a way to arrive at a figure of about 10,000,000 American PWP's
and CG's  affected DAILY by Parkinson's:

  3500 PWP's per Congressional District is an estimate  from the APDA,
and from my  Maine State Senator's  research staff, who discussed numbers
 with the APDA, before placing an actual estimate  into the Maine 1998
Parkinson's Awareness Resolution, Senate Paper 868.

  Add to this estimated 3500 PWP's per District,  approximately 6 family
or paid caregivers for each PWP.  That give us 3500 x 6 , or 21,000
caregivers per Congressional district.

  Add 3500 PWP's and 21,000 caregivers per District, and we get 24,500
people per Congressional District who are identifiable as part of the
Parkinson's Disease Community..

  There are 435 Districts in the United States. 24,500 people x 435 =
10,657,500 persons in the USA  who are affected EVERY DAY by Parkinson's
Disease!

  The 3500 per district is derived form the estimate of 1.5 million PWP's
in the USA that both the NPF and the APDA use currently..

  If a potential figure, including not-yet-diagnosed PWP's treatment, is
closer to 3 million, the  estimate of 10,657,500 people might be more
truly something like 20,000,000 affected DAILY in the USA.

  Even 10,000,000 is a HUGE number of people.  So, I would say,  let's
start acting like the politicians are RESPONSIBLE to help us--and be more
ASSERTIVE.

   Comments on how to translate these numbers, and potential VOTES, into
POLITICAL POWER, anyone?

Ivan Suzman
^^^^^^WARM GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman      48/11                 [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses       79  deg. F