That certainly is something to think about.  The difference is the NIH does
more basic research rather than searching for a drug.
 I, too, am waiting for
the pill that will cure me, but we need everyone working on it.   I certainly
see no harm in lobbying the drug companies, but keep in mind...if one of
them finds the "cure" it puts all their other drugs "out of the market."
Do you think they will readily forget their bottom line and be that altruistic?
I'm usually a pollyanna (optimist), but I wonder.......

nina