My wife and I saw "Saving Private Ryan" last night. Aside from grappling
with the Big Issues regarding war and the meaning of life, I was interested
in the Tom Hanks character, Capt. John Williams, and the detail involving
his right-hand tremor, which is the first thing we see of the character. It
became a powerful image of frailty in a situation where life was already in
doubt, but it was never really explained, except when Williams noted that
it had started around the time of his deployment. At one point, when one of
his men is asking the captain if he's okay, noticing the tremor, Williams
(who is clearly troubled by it), dissembles and says, "Sure I'm okay, just
keeping time," and starts snapping his fingers to some inner rhythm. I
don't want to describe any more of the movie, in case you haven't seen it.
I just wondered if this was supposed to be a PD tremor. We never really
find out.

Rick, 47/8 months