Dear Bob,

You wrote:

>I was asked today about a walker for a stroke victim who has only one
>useable arm.  I recalled that (I think) such a device was noted on this
>list a couple of weeks ago.  I'm sure the person (a Canadian whom I don't
>know) would be grateful if someone can respond with the source of the
>product.
>
>Thank you.
>Bob Cowan <[log in to unmask]>

Bob,
I  wrote about what you called a "walker" which is in fact the U-Step
Walking Stabilizer"  Not to be confused with an ordinary "walker" this is a
state of the art product!

It does indeed have a one-handed brake which can be set up for either hand.
It has many other features which have been designed especially for those
with neurological conditions.

You can purchase this U-Step in the USA & Australia.

Call Jonathon Miller, of Skokie Illinois at In-Step Mobility Products,
(800) 558 7837 or (847) 676 1275 Fax (847) 676 1202.  Please tell Jonathon
that Joy Graham gave you this information.
.
In Australia, call me, Joy Graham on (08)9430 4730 or email me at
[log in to unmask]  My husband and I are the Australian
distributors.

For those who missed the original posting,I would be happy to send it to
you (please ask me), but in the meantime, here's a letter which

(hope you don't mind me sharing this)

From: [log in to unmask]

 "It's a great product for anyone who needs suppport to prevent falls.

We first heard about it on the Parkinsn List a couple of years ago. We sent
for their brochure and liked what we found there. We also called their toll-
free number and talked with the inventor himself. At that time it was a
fairly new enterprise. We like it because it is so stable and easy to
manoeuver.Its virtually impossible to tip over and it gives a feeling of
real support and confidence to Neal. The basket and seat were optional, and
we are very glad to have them. Neal's first walker had a basket that mounted
forward and fairly high. He kept so much stuff in it (meds, water, note pads
and pens, flashlight for night travels, phone, etc, etc,) that it tended to
tip forward at times. The U-step's basket is mounted under the seat and its
center of gravity is low. It is also at a very convenient height to reach
all of the above while he is seated in a chair. The old walker had wheels,
but it did not roll anywhere near as smoothly as the U-Step. It folds
up for travel, but we leave it at home and keep his old walker in the car
for those times when he needs it when we are out.

The first U-step was built in the early 1990's Johnathan Miller for his
mother, who, if I remember correctly, had PD.[I think she has something
else, but definitely a balance problem - Joy] He wanted her to have one
that
was not prone to tipping over."

Martha