Graham,

I was surprised at the responses so far, because I thought the answer would
be obviously the same as mine.  Professional writing is, like Russ says,
"writing you get paid to do".  But I think it's more than that.  I think a
degree or course in "professional writing" should qualify a person to write
for pay, for example, as a freelance writer, editor, and proofreader-- a
person who can  make a profession out of writing!  A writing career that
you can count on-- usually not of the "creative" writing type, because it's
rare one can make a career out of that.  Being a professional writer means
usually dealing with non-fiction prose such as newspaper/magazine
journalism, academic theses, technical manuals, business proposals.  I
think such a course/program is wider than a journalism program, and
develops more non-fiction writing skill than a traditional English
Literature program does.

-Tania Smith.