On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Russ Hunt wrote:

> Tania says,
>
> > Professional writing is, like Russ says, "writing you get paid to
> > do".  But I think it's more than that.  I think a degree or course
> > in "professional writing" should qualify a person to write for pay,
> > for example, as a freelance writer, editor, and proofreader -- a
> > person who can make a profession out of writing!
>
> Well, it seems to me this is actually _less_ than "writing you get
> paid to do."  A lawyer, an insurance agent, a social worker, an
> architect, do what _I'd_ call "professional writing," and get paid
> specifically to do it -- briefs, reports to clients, recommendations
> to authorities, proposals . . . etc., etc.  They're not "hired
> guns," in the sense that they're hired _just_ to write (as, e.g., a
> tech writer at a software firm would be) but it seems to me what they
> do is professional writing.  Or at least an argument can be made that
 it is.

I think Russ has a good point here, that a more accurate use of
"professional" would need to go beyond "someone who gets paid to do
something." In fact, most of the literature I've read on
professionalism suggests (ironically) just the opposite, that
a professional is someone who does not sell their labour on
the market but rather is reimbursed for their access to and
distribution of specialized, elite knowledge. So, a professor
is not paid by the hour but is reimbursed at a fixed rate
because of the knowledge that person controls and shares.
(indeed if we were paid by the hour......!)

A professional is someone who has access to elite (socially
important) knowledge and thereby exchanges access to that
knowledge for financial security. Thus, a professional does
not barter on the market for fees or wages. This is what would
separate "professional" from "freelance," "entrepreneur,"
or "creative writer" since each of those writers must barter
and negotiate fees. Professionals (traditionally) command
a fixed salary. Professional writing is writing
that supports and codifies a certain body of knowledge
as both elite (restricted) and necessary to the functioning
of society.

This is what makes recent changes to medicine, law,
and other "professions" so interesting since they are being
required to either work for hourly wages, or compete
on the market for fees. At the same time, more technologies
are making "specialized knowledge" more and more accessible
for people, leaving out the professional as gatekeeper.
(please email me separately if you find this interesting)

Finally, as Graham, and other Canadians working here in
the US know, a "professional" is really one of the 41
categories that qualify for TN visa status according to
the INS and Revenue Canada!

Best wishes,

Brenton

Brenton D. Faber                     [log in to unmask]
Assistant Professor
Technical Communications          [log in to unmask]
Clarkson University
Potsdam NY 13699