Rick,

Thanks for responding to my request.  (And thanks as well to the other
people that have too.)  I want to answer your question about the
seminar I'll be teaching.

> Or is the question, how is professional writing different from academic
> writing, literary writing, political writing, etc.?  Or, to put it another
> way, what is the purpose of your question? what do you expect to accomplish
> in the seminar by posing this question?

What I *don't* want to do is elicit or work towards one "right"
definition of PW. Indeed, perhaps I shouldn't be using the word "define"
at all. What I have in mind is more of a collaborative project (in the
spirit of St. Thomas's Acquinas approach) to map out some of the various
meanings that people in the field appear to ascribe to the term. Why would
I want to do this? In the first instance, it's so that when we use the
term PW ourselves in the seminar or come across it in readings, we'll have
some sense of the range of possible meanings being invoked by the speaker
or writer (and, perhaps, from the context be able to get a little more
closely aligned with the speaker/writer's intention). In the longer term,
I want the students to be able to handle themselves in job interviews for
positions involving PW and, even now at this point in their careers, to
know how to place and position their work at conferences or in
publications.

By the way, I think it would be interesting to do some similar mapping of
frequently used terms such as "rhetoric" (e.g., is it the art of
persuasion or, more broadly, the activity of accomplishing something
through language and/or other symbol-based representations?), "discourse,"
and "empirical."

Take care, Graham