Russ,

To respond to your question:

> my question is really, is Graham more centrally concerned with the
> study of how writing is used in professions, or is this primarily a
> course in which people will learn how to _do_ professional writing
> (it's hard for me to imagine a course in which you learned how to do
> the wonderful stuff Pete's architecture students do . . . ).

The seminar will look at how writing is used in the workplace/professions,
rather than try to teach how to *do* professional writing.  However, I
will be asking the  participants to do some on-site research looking at a
particular genre in a professional/organizational setting of their
choosing; they'll each be examining some socio-cultural aspect of a
genre and then writing this up, hopefully as a conference paper or
publication.

Graham