I'm sorry you read those responses that way, Tania; I didn't think
they were so intended. I'm sure mine wasn't.

For my part, I was just trying to _extend_ the concept beyond the
narrower concept of someone paid to write (whether on a piecework or
salary basis), to include the kind of writing professionals do.

I didn't read any of the other postings as denigrating either
freelancers (since I am one myself, in a kind of minor but ongoing
way) or paid professionals (I didn't think the phrase "hired gun" was
derogatory (I meant it to include myself), but I guess I can see that
it can be read that way.)

> Why must freelancing in the field of writing frequently conjure up
> an image of the mercenary (hired gun)?  I now recall an
> acquaintance of mine calling it "literary prostitution" as well.
> There's a terrible immoral connotation in such metaphors that I'd
> rather not have anything to do with.  I think such judgments are
> not based on the type of work itself, but on its relation to the
> context of university disciplines and established professions, and
> the manner in which someone gets paid.

My view of the hired gun always included Shane, supporting the poor
downtrodden dirt farmers . . .

There's a long tradition, of course, going back to Plato, of
denigrating rhetoricians because the tools they use can be used in
the service of any cause.  One of the few areas in which I think
there's anything much to be said for Plato.

                                        -- Russ

                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_           Aquinas Chair
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~