At 11:13 AM 8/14/98 AST4ADT, you wrote:
>As usual, Rick raises important questions.
>
>> This may seem dumb, but how about writing done as part of one's
>> professional practice?
>
>This would, I'd think, include things like record-keeping notes,
>exploratory writing, journals and logs, etc. . . . all of which are
>appropriate to the _study_ of professional writing (I think of Pete
>Medway's work on architecture students' notebooks), but which aren't
>really so appropriate to the _teaching_ of professional writing.

Actually, when I assign collaborative projects I have my students keep and
submit a paper trail of notes, e-mails, telephone messages, schedules,
drafts, sketches etc.  The object is threefold: 1) to impress on them from
the start what it takes to be active and responsible group members--and that
they will have to produce evidence of their collaborative contribution, 2)
to highlight these minor genres of professional writing, that can actually
have major legal ramifications 3) to assist me in fair evaluation of
collaborative projects.

Again I'm backing into the issue, but I guess collaboration would be a huge
part of the definition of professional writing, as would ethics and legal
responsibility.