        More on Writing About Literature

My thanks to Kathryn & Russ for their recent comments.  I wonder,
though, if there isn't another way of approaching the
topic of "writing about Lit."  One of the features I'm hoping
to include in my text is a "glossary of specialized usage."
Instead of defining key literary terms, I think that students would
find a listing (& explanation) of critical language useful: here
I'm thinking of the specialized way critics use words
like "privilege" and "foreground"--& of key words/tropes
specific to literary criticism (spatial metaphors about
"reading _in_ meaning," or "_thick_ interpretation" seem
commonplace, for example).  Also, critics tend to engage
in genteel exploration, freqently employing rhetorical
understatement and words such as "seems" and "suggests."

Are there other examples that might give students
some insight into the way lit critics use language--to
establish professional ethos? to frame interpretations?
etc.

(I'll be happy to credit all interesting suggestions, so
please indicate your institutional affiliation when you
write--on or off list).

Thanks again,  Will

                       < < W.F. Garrett-Petts > >

 English & Modern Languages  ._______
  UCC, 900 McGill Rd         | \   / |    Voice: (250) 828-5248
   Box 3010, Kamloops B.C. --|.O.|.O.|______. FAX: (250) 371-5697
    B.C. V2C 5N3 Canada.__).-| = | = |/   \ |  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
                        >__) (.'---`.)Q.|.Q.|--. http://www.cariboo.bc.ca
                                     \\.-.//
                                      `---'
                   < < Writing is a Performance Art > >