One of the issues not raised here so far is the use of the term
"professional writing" as a new kind of god-term to include or subsume
technial and business writing as well as writing done in workplace
settings. In an academic context, this new term is used to create a sort
of locus of power for those who have been marginalized in their own
departments, be those  English or Business or Engineering. And I really
think that is where the term came from more than the other really
facinating explanations and discussions that I've had the pleasure to read
on this topic.

If you start with the idea that "professional writing" is that kind of
term and meant for that kind of purpose, then it is easier to live with
the discontinuities that everybody has been pointing out--who considers
what they write to be "professional writing"? what kinds of writing do we
(academics) not count as professional" and so on. The term "professional
writing" doesn't make much sense except as a move to establish power in
the academic community; outside the academic community they don't really
care what you call it.

Roger Graves