As usual, Rick raises important questions.

> This may seem dumb, but how about writing done as part of one's
> professional practice?

This would, I'd think, include things like record-keeping notes,
exploratory writing, journals and logs, etc. . . . all of which are
appropriate to the _study_ of professional writing (I think of Pete
Medway's work on architecture students' notebooks), but which aren't
really so appropriate to the _teaching_ of professional writing. So
my question is really, is Graham more centrally concerned with the
study of how writing is used in professions, or is this primarily a
course in which people will learn how to _do_ professional writing
(it's hard for me to imagine a course in which you learned how to do
the wonderful stuff Pete's architecture students do . . . ).

This may seem just as dumb: is professional writing writing you get
paid to do?

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_           Aquinas Chair
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~