EUROPEAN MEDIEVAL DRAMA

1.  INFORMATION ABOUT THE WEB PAGES
2. CALL FOR PAPERS FOR THE 1999 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
3. CALL FOR PERFORMERS FOR THE 1999 INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL

Please excuse any cross-postings.

The European Medieval Drama Council and the University of Camerino
(Italy)  jointly sponsor an annual conference with an associated
festival and workshops. In 1999, the conference will take place from
Friday 6 August to Sunday 8 August 1999, the festival will be from
Sunday 1 to Sunday 8 August, and the intensive workshops will last for a

fortnight, commencing on Monday 26 July.

Brief information about these events follows, but more information can
be found on the European Medieval Drama web pages.

1. European Medieval Drama web pages.
    (All these have just been updated - 10 August).
One group of these deals with the the conferences and festivals:
    European Medieval Drama home page:
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/emd.htm
    1st European Medieval Drama conference, 28-30 July 1996:
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/emd/page2.htm
    1st European Medieval Drama festival, 28-30 July 1996:
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/emd/festival.htm
    2nd European Medieval Drama conference, 4-6 July 1997:
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/emd/page3.htm
    2nd European Medieval Drama festival:, 4-6 July 1997
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/emd/page5.htm
    3rd European Medieval Drama conference, 3-5 July 1998:
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/emd/conf1.htm
    3rd European Medieval Drama festival, 2-5 July 1998:
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/emd/fest2.htm
    4th European Medieval Drama conference, festival and workshops,
August 1999:
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/fest3.htm
Associated with these is a page giving information about the publication

of the Brepols series, European Medieval Drama, that includes an annual
edition of the conference papers:
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/emd/brepols.htm
There are also several satellite sites, including:
    a. Medieval Drama Links (with a list of over 250 reviewed sites
dealing with all aspects of medieval drama). All links were checked on 1

August 1998:
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/emd/links.htm
    b. Bibliography of Cornish Medieval Drama:
        http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/emd/cornwall.htm

2. The 1999 European Medieval Drama conference - Call for papers
    It is an aim of all the European Medieval Drama conferences that
most of the speakers will
a. consider non-English plays rather than dealing exclusively with those

written in English;
b. be concerned with performance rather than solely text; and
c. examine, where applicable, non-textual evidence such as contemporary
records, paintings, costumes and music.
    As stated on the web page for the 1999 conference
(http://www.leeds.ac.uk/theatre/fest3.htm ):

> At this conference, there will be both academic workshops and the
> delivery of papers. The academic workshops - although having
> general interest - will be concerned specifically with preparations
> for a proposed European Medieval Drama centre at Camerino.
>
> The workshops will be concerned with
>
>        a. the playing-places of Camerino: looking at performance
>        spaces for medieval drama in Camerino;
>        b. planning the Italian equivalent to REED (for which the
>        possible name is MIDAS, 'Medieval Italian Drama Archival
>        Survey'): preparing the research project;
>        c. producing materials for the teaching of European Medieval
>        Drama: preparing an outline project;
>        d. equipping a medieval drama centre: an analysis of the
>        necessary or ideal equipment, fixtures and fittings.
>
> The subject for the conference papers is 'Medieval Drama in
> performance - a critical examination of recent productions of
> medieval plays'.
>
> If you are interested in delivering a paper, please send a brief
> synopsis (about 150 words) and curriculum vitae (about 100 words)
> a.s.a.p. (and not later than 1 December) by email to
>
>              Sydney Higgins - [log in to unmask]
>
> or by snail-mail to
>
>                               Sydney Higgins
>                    European Medieval Drama Council
>                          c/o via Bongiovanni 13a
>                           62032 Camerino (MC)
>                                    ITALY
>
>      All those sending a synopsis will be informed by the end of
>   December 1998 whether or not their paper has been accepted. At
>    the conference, copies of all contributions will be circulated and
>    speakers will be invited to deliver (for 10 minutes) a shortened
>    version of their paper. It is also anticipated that all
contributors
>    will also participate in one or other of the academic workshops.

An edition of a selection of the 1999 conference papers will be
published in March 2000 by Brepols Publishers of Belgium.

3. The 1999 European Medieval Drama festival - Call for performers.
    The 1999 European Medieval Drama Festival will take place throughout

the first week of August (from Sunday 1 - Sunday 8). It will be held in
conjunction with a festival organized by the 'Corsa alla Spada'
Association of Camerino which annually organizes the 'Race of the Sword'

that has, since medieval times, been part of the town's celebrations of
its saint's day. During the week of this new joint summer festival,
'Corsa alla Spada' will organize street tavernas where it will be
possible to enjoy traditional food and the excellent wine of the region.

There will also be costume parades and a jousting competition.

The rest of the entertainments will be organized by the European
Medieval Drama Council and it is anticipated that plays and musical
performances will be presented each evening by groups coming from both
Europe and North America.

If you are interested in performing in the festival, bringing a group,
participating in the workshops or attending the conference and/or
festival, please contact me and I will send you an information pack.

-- _________________________________________

Sydney Higgins
University of Camerino
via Bongiovanni 13a