Dear Barb:
I don't think you are way off base, but not quite on the mark.

I live in the Midwest where is gets very cold in the winter.  There is a
program to help elderly and low or no income to pay for their heat.  You give
a dollar and then the gas company gives a dollar and then it is matched by a
local department store for one dollar.  I don't mind.  I still have a roof
over my head, heat, electric, water, etc.  I believe that I am blessed by this
and wish to help others.  In the past the summer's have not been so hot.  It
seems with every new summer it gets worse.  I don't believe that able-bodied
people should just be handed a fan.  But I think an elderly person should get
one.  What do they cost now?  $20-30 per fan.

I am just of the school of "Pass It On".  There was a point in my life, that I
was so poor.  Payday rolled around and I told a friend  co-worker that I had
$1.29 for groceries.  That evening she showed up at my home with 4 bags of
groceries.  I told her I would pay her back when I could, and she said "No,
just pass it on".  We all need help now and then.  Yes, I do hope the funding
of the Udall Bill comes thru and I don't believe obtaining these fans will
hinder that.
One thing I want to say, the co-worker and I are of different racial
backgrounds, but are we?
It is just one person helping another person.  I don't like to help the ones
that do not deserve it though.  I am tired of supporting people who can
definatly work.
This is just my opinion, and it works for me.
Gina
47/7 mos