Monday August 3, 1998

Company Press Release

Schwarz Pharma and Discovery Therapeutics Announce Plans for
New Transdermal Patch for Parkinson's Treatment

MEQUON, Wisc. and RICHMOND, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 3, 1998--Schwarz
Pharma, an international pharmaceutical company with US headquarters in
Mequon, and Discovery Therapeutics Inc. (DTI), a privately held company
in Richmond, today announced an alliance to develop DTI's novel dopamine
agonist delivered in a transdermal patch for the treatment of
Parkinson's disease. Schwarz Pharma will be responsible for
completing development of the transdermal patch and for worldwide
marketing, except in Japan.

``The patch revealed strong safety and efficacy features in a clinical
phase II study,'' said Patrick Schwarz-Schutte, president and CEO of
Schwarz Pharma AG. ``There has been a long-standing need for a
once-a-day medication for Parkinson's disease, and thus, this is an
excellent fit with our strategy of global search and development for
treatments that can address unmet medical needs. We welcome this
cooperative agreement with DTI to develop this innovative product.''

Parkinson's disease is a chronic, <snip>

Discovery Therapeutics Inc. developed this novel dopamine agonist
(N-0923) in a transdermal system to deliver the drug in a once-a-day
patch. According to Dr. Donald A. McAfee, president and CEO of Discovery
Therapeutics Inc., ``This is a significant step in the treatment of
Parkinson's disease, and we expect that this patch will provide patients
with more consistent control of symptoms and fewer side effects.'' Dr.
McAfee also noted that most Parkinson's patients must take several
medications each day to control symptoms, and the convenience of a
once-a-day patch would be a welcomed improvement.

Copyright © 1998 Business Wire.
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada