As the rush to complete legislative action prior to the August recess unfolds,
it appears that there WILL be a vote on the floor of the House of
Representatives on the Labor HHS Appropriations bill, H.R. 4274.  The vote is
TENTATIVELY scheduled for Thursday's session (8/6/98).  Therefore it is more
important than ever for all of us to contact our representatives TODAY and
URGE THEM TO:

*****VOTE IN FAVOR OF H.R. 4274 (House Labor HHS Appropriations bill for
FY1999),

*****and*****

*****OPPOSE ANY AMENDMENTS THAT WOULD REDUCE THE FUNDING INCREASE FOR NIH.

Thanks to all of you who have taken action on this already, and to all of
those who contacted me in Washington with your questions. If any of you have
not called your representative yet, NOW is the time to do it.  I would also
like to applaud Mike Claeys for his very thorough and informative post(s) of
late regarding the status and (hopeful) passage of this crucial piece of
legislation.

I would second Mike's use of Darwin Hawkin's quote:
"Let's hold their feet to the fire."
and only add that...
IT'S TIME TO TURN UP THE HEAT!!!

Bill Turenne, Jr.