To:  Members of the listserv

PAN did not, cannot, say this publicly.  But I can.

Basically, the NIH is not telling the truth about its level of support for
Parkinson's research. It does this, at least in part, to avoid
Congressional usurpation of its historic function, i.e. to decide each
year, on its own, how to allocate some $14 billion among the many disease
groups. NIH director,
Dr. Harold Varmus, is reportedly a formidable bureaucrat, respected by many
key  congressional leaders.

For a number of years, 1.5 million Parkinson's victims had annually
attracted a scant $24 to $26 million "directly" allocated to study their
disease.  This was the level determined by the NIH, as recently as 1994, as
appropriate for Parkinson's.

It stayed that way  until some people, most notably Joan Samuelson, came
along to point out the inequity of the NIH allocation, and seek redress.
Initially, the NIH response was that all the good research on Parkinson's
that is submitted each year is being funded.  Then,to counter and confuse,
NIH began focussing on "related" research expenditures to puff-up the
Parkinson's numbers.

Parkinson's became the only disease to have more funding for "related"
research than for "direct" research.  Indeed, it is the only disease with
these costs reported separately, but lumped together whenever convenient.

Today it is convenient.  Today the NIH is telling the Congress that $98
million is being spent in Parkinson's research this fiscal year, almost the
total authorized by the Udall Act, and that over $100 million will be spent
next fiscal year.

So, says NIH, if Udall's numbers are being met, why should the Parkinson's
community worry?

Why?  Because at best, under the current law, "direct" research will get
about $40 mil of that $98 mil, the rest going to areas of "related"
research, whatever that may be.  Under Udall, $100 million was to go for
"direct" research.

Why?  Because the NIH, for another year, has independently allocated
research funds, despite the strong statement made by the Congress in
overwhelmingly approving Udall.

Why?  Because many, many renowned and respected Parkinson's researchers,
perhaps fearing retribution, privately will tell you that the NIH review
process leaves many, far too many, scientifically meritorious applications
without funding.  Whether NIH continues to maintain the fiction that this
is not the case I do not know.

Finally, as a Person With Parkinson's, I worry because the political
process is clearly failing me, and my brothers and sisters who share my
seemingly inevitable fate, to die the excruciatingly slow death being
experienced by my former congressman, Mo Udall.  Many good people, with the
disease and without, have articulated the need for funds, the obvious
discrimination against Parkinson's research, and the potential for
heretofore unheard of scientific progress. We have written and called our
representatives, and have visited them in their offices to plead our case.

Our words have been heard.  Vast majorities in both houses voted for the
Udall bill.  But, in the funneling process known as "appropriations," our
needs are apparently going to fall victim to the power of the NIH.  The NIH
appears to have convinced key members of the Congress that it alone, with
no interference from the people's elected representatives, should continue
to decide on the allocation of medical research funds, the Udall Act
notwithstanding.

I wonder, does the Pentagon determine how each defense dollar is allocated?
Are the Joint Chiefs of Staff as independently powerful in their venue as
Dr. Varmus is in his?

PAN deserves credit for singularly continuing to apprise us of what is
happening  in Washington, and to give guidance on what we should do.  I am
not  sure that the past methods they call for - writing and calling - are
going to push our current cause "through the appropriations funnel."  But
until the Parkinson's community is ready to move beyond this stage, it is
the best we can do, and we should do it the best we can.

                                Bob Dolezal