Hello, Barbara,
      I had a unilateral pallidotomy in 1996.  It was on my right side so the
side that got the most effect was my left.  I was having alot of problems with
dystonic pain.  That problem was relieved entirely on my left side.
My right side seems to have been made a little more  mobile.  My left leg has
been considerably slower since operation but that leg has given me trouble for
several years before operation.
      I am glad i had the operation.  I have heard that the second side
operations carry a higher risks with side effects--could effect speech.  I
don't know about the validity of this statement.
Hope this info- helps -
thanks for sharing--------pete