My comments spring from a very interesting (in the same sense as the Chinese
>curse) time I had back in '84.  They do describe what happens with Sinemet
>-especially following a period of abstinence.  I do not consider these
>comments too be any sort of therapeutic recommendation.  I hope you find this
>helpful.
>
>Regards,
>WHH 54/18

Debbie, I don't know which symptoms of your mother make her think she is
over- or undermedicated, but I hope this is of some help.
William, Do you think I talk about the same thing as you did with your
chronic and acute effects?

The way to determine whether a symptom is caused by under- or by
overmedication  is to making a list of all the symptoms that show up during
the day and subsequently look for the time relation each symptom has to the
time table which rules the meds intake. Each dopa intake might cause a
cycle from low level, with parkinson symptoms of undermedication to a
higher level with no symptoms at all or symptoms of overmedication, back to
a lower level with parkinson symptoms of undermedication again.  This may
seem simple enough and not raising questions, but it is not that simple.
There are two sources of confusion. The first is that in discriminating one
has to look to the time table; when does a symptom show up, and to the
content of the symptom; dyskinesia being indicative for overmedication and
Park. symptoms for undermedication. What should one decide when these two
indicaters don't say the same thing : for example when 4 or 5 hours after
an intake of sinemet CR dyskinesia shows up in stead of the expected PD
symptoms. To determine whether this dyskinesia is an indicator of being
under- or overmedicated one could do an experiment: take a next sinemet.
When this causes the symptoms to disapear or decrease, it  seems sensible
to conclude this dykinesia was an indication of being undermedicated. When
the dyskinesia starts to increase as soon as the next sinemet is starting
to do its work, one might conclude it was an indication of being
overmedicated.
If one suffers from dyskinesia, which shows up after the last sinemet is
supposed to have finished to do his job, it is important to understand that
 dyskinesia can be triggered during two different phases in the meds cycle.
It makes sense to try to find some differences between the one dykinesie(
caused by overmed. that increases if another sinemet is added) and the
other on (caused by undermedication, which decreases when the next sinemet
is added).
Yet another source of confusion is that that the effect of a sinemet pill
depends partly on the the amount of sinemet that was used during a longer
preceding period.
That is why in the past a drug-holiday was prescribed for patients who
could not benefit any more from sinemet, because the dyskinetic effect
outstripped the therapeutic effect. Years ago I discovered by chance that I
could benefit much more from sinemet the day after a day I did
undermedicate myself. This was not because sinemet counteracted the
Parkinson symptoms more vigorously, but because it caused no more
dyskinesia. So the two kinds of dyskinesia, which are triggered by two
different phases of the meds.cycle are both, but in a different way,
leva-dopa induced, but it can be as William Heitman calls it an acute or a
chronic effect. For most PWP's dyskinetic symptoms are due to an chronic
and acute overmedication. For some PWP's they also can be an effect of both
cronic overmedication and acute undermedication.

Regards Ida

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]