Hi,

>   So my question to you is how much influence does the internet have with
>PWP. My answer is very little because only about 6-8% of PWP have access
>to the
>internet or understand it well enough to unearth items in which they are
>jnterested

My feeling is whilst the actual number of PWPs on the Internet is small,
the reach of the Internet greatly exceeds what you'd expect just from
looking at those numbers.

In fact, because the Internet is the largest, most diverse, and most
efficient method of communication around, what goes on in Internet
discussion groups (e.g. PARKINSN) will increasingly set the agenda for
conversations in the "real world". For example, I would think PARKINSN is a
major focus of Udall activity. If a cure for PD was discovered, I think
you'd see this list become the major forum for working out what it all
meant.

Why does the Internet have so much punch? Because people aren't on the
Internet will be informed by people who are. Here's a some thoughts I had
on the subject (this is UK based, I presume it works OK in other countries).

>Assume we each know 4 people (Brother/Sister/Friend/Son/Daughter) who
>would be
>willing to help the Parkinson's cause in some way, probably by being the
>Branch's "Ambassador" on the Internet.
>
>If each branch has 20 active members (very low estimate?), then you've got 80
>possible volunteers.
>
>Assume 1/10th of the population has email Internet access (this is probably
>about right, you can discuss it but there isn't all thay much real
>information,
>except there's a lot of people and its growing faster and faster).
>
>This means you'd expect each branch to have around 8 people with Internet
>access who would be willing to pass mails on etc.
>
>That's not counting the number of people who have computers and would get on
>the Internet if they had a reason (like being prompted by the PDS). Or the
>possibility of local libraries, schools, or web cafes.
>
>I think if you actually did it, you would find that the vast majority of
>branches could get some access to the Internet, for no or little investment.
>And it gets better every month.

Simon
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: [log in to unmask]
New Information Paradigms                  Work Phone: +44 1344 778783
http://www.nipltd.com/                     Work Fax:   +44 1344 772510
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============