Wednesday August 5
Ali Stops Experimental Treatment

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Muhammad Ali has stopped an experimental
treatment for his Parkinson's disease, saying he felt used by the Boca
Raton clinic where he went for help.

For more than a decade, the former heavyweight champion has suffered
from the disease that slowed his reflexes and made it difficult for him
to talk. Ali had received five days of treatments at the clinic before
deciding to quit.

Ali criticized Jerry Jacobson, a retired dentist and oral surgeon with
whom Ali began treatments July 28, for not respecting his privacy.

``I feel I was used to promote their clinic,'' Ali said in a statement.

Jacobson, who said he has invented a breakthrough technology for
regenerating nerve cells, said he was both hurt and saddened by Ali's
reaction.

``I feel really awful. ... it's just that the media came on too strong
and I guess he felt swamped and (Ali's wife, Lonnie) felt set up, which
was not the case,'' Jacobson said Tuesday.

Jacobson, who lives in Jupiter, defended the decision to confirm to the
media that Ali was being treated at his clinic. Jacobson said it was not
an effort to capitalize on the champion's fame.

``This had nothing to do with business,'' Jacobson said. ``All I wanted
from Ali was two weeks to show the efficacy of this treatment.''

Ali has returned to his home in Berrien Springs, Mich., assistant Kim
Vidt said.
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada