Tourette Syndrome vs. Parkinsons

This article submitted by Wayne Berkenkamp on 8/3/98 to the PD Forum:

Tourette Syndrome is characterized by the brains over supply of
dopamine. Parkinson's Disease is brought about by the brains gradual
decreased ability to manufacture dopamine - an undersupply. Are there
any neurologists out there exploring the possibilities that these my be
complimentary conditions that could be exploited for the mutual benefit
of those that suffer from these diseases?

This ties in with something I heard on the news today. European doctors
have discovered that they can treat cocaine addiction by using a common
(AND CHEAP) medication prescribed for Epilepsy. The medication reduces
the production of dopamine (which they believe contributes to the "high"
from the cocaine. Now, I know we don't want to reduce the dopamine
levels by taking that med, but could there be a benefit derived for some
non addictive derivative of cocaine? Or maybe we just all become
addicts, then we would get some government action!!!

Darwin Hawkins