Rita:

From my own involvement in our federal grants submission, your comments are
entirely correct.  The study sections are not the final FINAL word on
awards, though--there is an Institute Council that makes the decisions
based largely on input/ratings from the study sections and partly on
????????????  One criterion at this level is, I believe, Institute
policies, i.e., funding research with implications across a broad area of
study.  That's where PWP run up against the process, since disease-specific
grants are sometimes (NOT ALWAYS) judged to be narrow in terms of
implicaations.

Carole Cassidy