(Martha Rohrer) wrote:

> The sky is not falling, but I have begun to make it a point to ask
> every financial and medical source that we deal with if they are
> prepared for managing year 2000. This accomplishes two things:
>
>  1. They are made aware of the problem if this is news to them. And
>  it tells them their customers have a valid concern.
>
>  2. I can change our affairs from slaggards to more savvy providers.

Good idea, especially #2.

We do find some paranoid-sounding utterances and hyperbole, and some
of them come from headline and blurb writers. Senator Bob Bennett
spoke before the National Press Club on July 17 about the Y2K
problem.  To retrieve his speech on the www.y2knews.com web page
there is the following to click on:

"Bennett On Y2K: Warns of Civilization Breakdown."

Sounds like he is predicting the breakdown of civilization. But what
the Senator actually said was this:

"We have tried to be the Paul Revere. But I tell people we're not
yet Chicken Little. The British are, indeed, coming. This is a
serious problem, and one that cannot be minimized. But I'm not yet
ready to say that the sky is falling, as some people do on the web
sites. And so we've tried to strike the balance between Paul Revere
and Chicken Little. . . .

"Now, the number-one problem we face is denial.

"People say, "No, it can't possibly happen." . . .

"I believe we're going to win; that is I think that civilization as
we know it is not going to come to an end. It's a possibility.
Possibility, if Y2K were this weekend instead of 76 weekends from
now, it would. But we have 76 weeks in which to try to get this under
control. But we are, in a sense, at war against this problem. And you
would not have said in the Second World War, 'Oh, because the
president assures us we're going to eventually prevail, we do not
need to cover Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Normandy, the Battle of the
Bulge, or any of the rest of it.'

"And so my plea to you here in the Press Club is: Do not ignore this
story just because someone is reassuring you that it's going to work
out all right. There are all kinds of stories out there that need to
be covered and, most importantly, need to be exposed. . . ."

In more general terms, and as Merlin Brown indicated, we can't assume
it's being handled by someone else.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
60/9