>Parkinson researchers, who would find a cure, would secure an upgrading
of
>their status, (which is very important to most of them), like that
doctor
>whose research object changed from influenza to AIDS.
>>This makes me wonder why we are not flooded by solid and competing
plans
>from eager researchers, that map the route to a cure. Might it be that
those solid plans simply do not yet exist?

>>Ida Kamphuis
This problem is not as simple as it made to appear.  The etiology or
cause for the disappearance of  dopamine in the Substantia Nigra is
still largely unknown.  It is most difficult to fight an enemy you can
not see.  Currently, there are a variety of palliative measures that
alleviate some of the symptoms, like pallidotomy, but the only hint of a
cure is either with fetal, human or xeno transplantation, or recombinant
DNA technique for genetic therapy.  The rest of today's therapy rely on
a variety of  drugs that relieve the dyskinesias, dystonia, tremors, ON
and OFF phases, but all body functions deteriorate  inexorably with
time.
In research, plans have to be made in fairly long terms, but even the
best experimentation will often lead to naught, though I am hopeful as a
care taker. The research is not performed just by doctors, but often by
molecular biologists, microbiologists, biophysicists, biochemists,
biostatisticians, etc.
Yet, I see light at the other end of the tunnel, the problem though is
that the tunnel can be  dark and frightening, but with the light of
knowledge one finds the path with greater ease.

In the meantime, Carpe Diem.

Michel Margosis