As of this morning (Thurs), it appears that there will not be sufficient time
for debate and a vote on H.R. 4274, the Labor HHS Appropriations measure for
FY 99, until  AFTER the August recess. (Aug. 10 - Sept. 8)

Sorry for the false alarm, but this should not be seen as bad news.  It is
actually a blessing in disguise.  This will give us, as a community, more time
to contact our representatives and urge their support of the measure.  If you
would like to do more than just call or write their offices, I would recommend
following the instructions laid out in a recent post by Mike Claeys about
trying to meet with your representative at home over the August recess.
Perhaps Mike, or someone who has it handy, could repost those instructions.

Remember that in terms of the House bill, our message is simple and to the
point:

*****VOTE IN FAVOR OF H.R. 4274 (House Labor HHS Appropriations bill for
FY1999),

*****and*****

*****OPPOSE ANY AMENDMENTS THAT WOULD REDUCE THE FUNDING INCREASE FOR NIH.

All indications are that debate and a vote will be scheduled for the first
week of the House's return (Aug. 8 - 11) but, once again, all dates are
tentative.

Thanks to all of you for helping in this effort.  If you have any specific
questions, feel free to call or email me.  I will continue to update you all
as reliable information becomes available.

Bill Turenne, Jr.
NPF/ Washington
1(888)331-4NPF