Dear Darwin:

I too, consider myself from the old school.  I was an accountant, with the old
adding machines (rows of keys and a crank on the side), Mimeograph machines I
loved cause of the smell of the ink,  most of the books I worked on were by
hand, no posting machines.  I didn't start working on computers until
mid-70's.  The last company I had 2 computers (Compaq and a Mac), a decolater,
a copy mahine (state of the art), Toshiba 12,000 copies per minute.  I do
agree that the spell checkers are a good thing.  I was kidding.  I would just
like my daughter to be able to spell if she is away from her computer.  It is
difficult say if she is filling out an employment application and can't spell
calculator.  Or it could be any word, that if she were relying on the spell
checker where would she be.

I worry that we have become so dependent on a machine, that is only as good as
the operator.  I don't lose sleep worry, I suffer from insomnia anyway, but I
just think that some things should stay like the old way.  Maybe some spelling
should be done manually.
I think computers are wonderful, I have been operating one for so long in my
work life.   I really like the one at home, and I'm sure I'll like the one on
its way.  And they do help, I agree.  I really didn't mean to slam your spell
checker, I just got caught up in the group jokes.

Gina
47/8 mos