Ida remarked on her astonishment that I use Sinemet to help me sleep, so in
the light of the current discussion I thought I'd better comment:

- I do not use it to combat "wakefulness" but to loosen me up enough to get
comfortable enough to sleep

- I do not use it every night, only when I have trouble sleeping because of
stiffness or when I'm pretty sure I am going to.

- Like Brian Collins I only take half of my usual dose - and of course no
agonists etc.

- again like Brian, I began the practice in my 10th year with PD and my
experience may have no relevence to people  at an earlier stage.  Brian
comments (and I agree with him):

"I believe that like many subjects relating to effects
of Parkinsons on ourselves or other PWPs, it is important to define our
Age and years since diagnosis. My comments above refer to my experience
over the disease duration 10 to 19 years: It would be pointless (I believe)
to compare the observations with those who have (say) 4 or 5 years of
Parkinson's"

- perhaps not surprisingly, these days I only remember dreaming on nights
when I have used sinemet

On the subject of sleep benefit per se I am once more in agreement with
Brian (Brian - this must be some sort of record <grin>) in believing that
the experience is "for real" and not due to some putative residue of the
previous days meds.  In my own case I experience a strange combination of
"off" and "on" symptoms.  On first waking I am decidedly "off".  I lie in
bed like a log of wood, unable to move, so heavy that I seem to press
downward into the mattress.  As my mind focuses on the day, I find that I
gain some control of my legs and, to a lesser degree, my arms and hands.  I
use my legs to inch me towards, and finally over, the edge of the bed and
then, grabbing the turning bar fitted to my side of the bed haul myself into
an upright position sitting on the edge of the bed.  Another grunt and groan
session and I am standing beside my bed (on bad days I may need to first
lower myself to a kneeling position facing the bed).  At this point I find I
can walk away with something like a normal gait. My legs feel almost light
and I can move around reasonably well.    My arms and hands however still
have the heavy feeling and are close to useless until my medication starts
to take affect.  For reasons that I too cannot put into words, the control I
have over my legs during that period "feels" more like my memory of "normal
" control than does the somehow more "brittle" (but still most welcome)
control provided by sinemet.

I'm far from certain that my experience actually qualifies as sleep benefit
but the "off" periods I experience later in the day are distinctly different
and affect my whole body equally.

Dennis

Dennis Greene 48/11
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/