On Sun 02 Aug, George J. Lussier wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>    I'm putting together the last pieces for our support groups first
>    newsletter and some one asked me, why a newsletter...don't we have the
>    internet?
>    So my question to you is how much influence does the internet have with
>    PWP. My answer is very little because only about 6-8% of PWP have access
>    to the internet or understand it well enough to unearth items in which
>    they are jnterested
>
> So if you wouldn't mind would you or the group leader ask the group
>    *How many people in group that day____30____
>
>    *Of this number how many have computers[or regular access]_1 (plus me)
>
>    *Of this number how many have e-mail____1__
>
>    *OR access to the internet___1___
>
>    *AND access to the internet___1___
>
>    *How many understand  their computers well enough
>                to retrieve information in which they
>                have some interest                   __1_____
>
>    TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW. PLEASE
>
> A few 0ther questions
>     How many read a newspaper every day 25
>     Watch the news including the science/medical news 25
>
> PD is a very isolating disease     Thank You       george

Hello George,  I agree with your views on the use of the internet. there are
not nearly enough computers in use (even though a few years ago, a survey
concluded that the UK had more computers per head of population than anywhere
in the world!
The glue which binds us tohether in my group is undoubtedly the newsletter
(which I write). It is only a single typed sheet but it goes to evry one of
the known PWPs in our area. (I have 275 PWPs on my database) My estimate is
that this is about half of the total number of PWPs in the area. Why don't
the others join?  I wish I knew. I know some are in the early stages and just
want to take the tablets and get on with their lives, and this is
understandable, but we could help the older, infirm people if only we could
find them. We lose no opportunity to make a splash in the local Press, and
that works quite well but it seems that we are waging an endless fight
against apathy
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>