Jed Blue wrote:

> But people just don't seem to realise that we exist - just had a social
> service agency tell me today that I was not eligible for a caregiver
> through their   - wait for it -- "frail nd elderly " program!!!

 Dear listmembers,
I hope you will not give up. I believe your work is paying off, though it may not
seem very visible yet. Some of you may recall I wrote an article for my practice
group's newsletter (I'm a registered dietitian) on malnutrition and PD. Since then,
I've had numerous requests for more information from long-term-care and home health
agencies; and last week I was interviewed by telephone by the editor of a disease
management newsletter -- she had read my article, and realized that PD could be a
good candidate for disease management programs. I've also been asked to write
articles on PD for two professional journals, which I hope to do, although my time
is becoming pretty cramped currently.

Further, the editor of a new book for home care works phoned me, requesting
permission to reprint portions of an article I wrote on nutrition and stress. Her
book is heavily focused on the stresses of caring for people with Alzheimers. I gave
permission to reprint, but also convinced her to add material on PD, and the unique
stresses  it brings both to the PWP and caregivers. She was dumbfounded at the
materials, statistics, and case histories I was able to offer, and is now planning
to include  information on PD. It probably won't be more than a paragraph, maybe
just a sentence or two, but even that much could be an eye-opener for many.

It is not happening as fast as we would all wish for, but I do believe word is
spreading.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--