In re: driving and alternative transportation particularly in small towns
where public transportation is non-existant, our small town of less than
6,000 has secured a grant to extend the use of the OATS(Older Americans
Transportation System) to anyone who calls for a ride.  No fee is required,
but a recommended $1.00 donation is suggested.  This does require some
advance planning as one does need to call ahead.

If this small community can qualify for this type of grant, surely other
small towns can do the same.  I'm not sure if it is federal $$$, but if
anyone is interested, post to me and I'll call the OATS # and ask who to
contact regarding that information.