From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Camilla Flintermann
Sent:   Sunday, August 09, 1998 5:39 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: Driving--Will Kuipers

Dear Will_- you have hit the target in your comment about driving.  I have
heard from so many CGs who are panicked and despairing because their PWPs
will not see the reality you have pointed out. In modern society driving,
especially for men, seems to hole a special place as a symbol of" being in
charge " and I thank my lucky stars that Peter himself recognized several
years ago that he was no longrer a good driver, and chose not to renew his
license....actually, he likes having a  "chauffer"! ;-)  PD is not the only
condition which diminishes one's ability to react quickly in an emergency,
of course. And the rules for renewing licenses vary from state to state.  I
would encourage the idea of a session with a driving instructor to
"re-assess" one's skills, a sort of reminding andpolishing (which I myself
did last year) which would provide an objective opinion as to one's
ability, and take the family off the hook! If is important at the start of
one's driving career, why not also at the other end?  Perhaps we could work
toward making this a "socially approved" thing to do--and then to provide
alternative means of transportation for those who are car-dependent but no
longer able to drive?

SNIPPED

>Driving requires a miriad of fast reactions and faultlessly working senses
>and it is
>inevitable that I'll be inadequate in some situations.

        Camilla Flintermann,            <[log in to unmask]>
        CG for Peter, 80/9               co-owner, CARE list

           #  "If the only tool you have is a hammer, #
           #   everything looks like a nail. "  #
           #            ----Abraham Maslow           #