Someone mentioned backwards walking when forwards results in a freeze and=
couldn't resist offering this as a possible explanation. =

Normal forward walking requires displacing one's body weight past the fal=
point and then the advancing extremity "catches" the body before it falls=
=2E
If for whatever reason there is a perceived or real inability to advance
the leg, then fear  of falling is a very strong inhibitory force against
normal walking (i.e. projecting forward).  This has nothing to do with th=
underlying cause of freezing or akinesia but rather is how the body
responds to these causes as it attempts to accommodate this pathology.  I=
one can walk without the need to displace one's center of gravity beyond
the fall point then this inhibitory fear is circumvented and gait can
occur.  This in fact is what I feel happens with backwards walking. =

Anatomically we are put together so that one need not project backwards
beyond the fall point in order to take a step when walking backwards and =
so
we are not inhibited from doing so.  In forward walking this fear results=

in short stride gait because if the gait is short enough one's center of
gravity remains under foot and there is no fear of falling.  With short
strides there is no time or space to pick up the feet and so one sees
shuffling gait.  So one can conclude that both shuffling gait and short
stride gait are not primary pathology in PD but rather are compensatory
mechanisms.  Walking up stairs is very often also possible because again
one walks without the need to anteriorly displace one's center of gravity=
=2E

Any comments  on the above speculations are welcomed.

regards,

Tom