MORE ABOUT CODING                       9 Aug 98

Medicare's Prospective Payment System (PPS) at present applies
to hospital inpatient care. Each patient is assigned by a Coder
to a specific Diagnosis-Related Group (DRG) which determines
how much that hospital will be paid by Medicare for that
patient's care.

The DRG code is used also by some state Medicaid programs, some
commercial insurance plans, and most Champus coverage. Some
non-Medicare inpatient coverage not dependent on DRGs includes
HMOs, indemnity insurance, managed care plans, etc.

Medicare plans to extend the PPS to cover outpatient services.
Meanwhile, they use at least six different systems to determine
payment. Instead of the DRG, they generally pay according to
each procedure that is performed, which seems to be a more
rational approach.

I suspect that most of the U.S. listmembers are eligible for
Medicare benefits. Although services and procedures related to
PD should rarely require a hospital stay, they tend to be
costly, so a decision by Medicare on what they will or will not
pay for could be very important. So far I've seen no response
to my earlier inquiry: Can anyone here enlighten us about this
important subject? Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694