acronyms / purpose of our list / iyq
98/02/18

...those of us who have been privileged
to have access to the internet for some time
are frequently guilty of using 'insider' language and short-forms
without regard for the newer internet adventurers

i consciously try to avoid using such insider 'lingo'
partly in consideration of the above-mentioned 'newbies'
and partly in consideration of the international aspect of this list-group

i am privileged in that english
[my native language - albeit the canadian version]
is becoming or already has become the internet's primary language
and i only have admiration for those who have learned english
as a second [or third, or fourth...] language

so...

SPAM
= that canned usa-manufactured pseudo ham
= 'junk' e-mail spewed to all and sundry

LOL
= laughing out loud

PD
= parkinson's disease

PWD
= person with parkinson's disease

PARKIE
= another version of person with parkinson's disease

in re the above two terms:
you pays your money and you takes your choice!

...sometimes words/ideas that are written can be easily misunderstood
[especially, it seems, when the tone is casual and teasing]
since there is no body language/facial expression
to assist the receiver in interpretation
so short-forms and
'emoticons' like
<<g>> = grin or giggle
 :-)   = smile
have developed for clarity's sake

the internet and e-mail are a brand new communications phenomenon
so in the larger sense, we are all 'newbies' to this medium

IMHO = in my humble opinion,
FWIW = for whatever it's worth,
sometimes very short messages can 'backfire'
in the sense that the sender may intend a kindness in being brief
but the receiver may interpret the brevity
as curtness or criticism

some of our cyber family want short messages
some want long messages
some want jokes
some want purely pd related info

we are each of us totally unique one-of-a-kind individuals
[how's that for redundancy?]
we have to do
what we have to do
to be true to ourselves
and not be overly concerned about others' opinions of us

i believe that the purpose of this list is sharing
[barb patterson perpetrated the ultimate in sharing
by starting this list in november 1993]
if we feel the need to share
news about pd or non-pd
celebrations/victories
anger/sadness
jokes/humour
pain/loss
so be it

...i hope all of us continue writing to us
we are all in this 'boat' together
for the 'long haul'
each one of us has something to contribute
which might benefit others

...i think that 99% of angry reactions
are caused by mis-understandings or mis-interpretations
and the best [maybe only] way to clear out the mess is to talk it all out

back to our favourite cyber-dad-don
his expression I.Y.Q.
as pronounced in english
sounds like 'eye why kew'
and if said quickly, can sound like 'i wike you',
which can sometimes be interpreted as 'baby-talk' for 'i like you'

i have always found the expression delightful
as well as a tad goofy
which is another reason why i.y.q. 2,  mr. don and mr. pd both!

your cyber-sibling in silliness
[yr cybyr-cyblyng yn syllynyss]

janet

a new voice: http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
51/10 - endocarb/selegiline/fluoxetine - [log in to unmask]
janet paterson