Ivan M Suzman wrote:

> ^^^^^^WARM GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
> Ivan Suzman      48/12                 [log in to unmask]
> Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses     68    deg. F
>
> Dear Listfriends,
>
> Good news and bad news from a 12th--year PD survivor.
>
>  Sometimes, I am alone at home, and I end up trying to make sense of my
> life as it is, and giving up and sleeping on the sitting room floor,
> when noone can be found for 4 to 7 hours at a time to help me out.  I
> start asking the what if's, like, what if I had a child? what if I lived
> with mfy aunt? what if I gave up my house? what if I stopped taking
> Sinemet, and died in a frozen state in my sleep?
>
> Why are caregivers supplied only $6.25/hour by the state of Maine??  Is
> this universal for personal care attendants who you don't pay yourself,
> due to your own low income??
>
> I'm in my 12th year of PD.  How do those of  you with 10 years of PD. or
> more, deal with ACCEPTING PD, when you know it is getting worse and
> worse??  I do feel like my time is running out.  And that is pretty
> scary.  I think my PD is progressing rapidly lately- has anyone noticed
> how FEW of us are active on the list who have had PD 10 or more years?
>
> Ivan 48/12

Dear Ivan, and all you kind people out there,

I wish I had some answers to these questions.  Unfortunately, I only
have the same questions, - and more. I  really don't know how to deal
with the situation. It's just there and that's it. I get very angry, but
I try not to let  that show.  And sometimes I get sorry for myself- and
I try not to let that show.  But the most important thing is, I try and
lauqh.  What does the Reader Digest call it - "laughter the best
medicine".   And for that attitude of mind, I have to thank a very dear
friend, that I have lost touch with since I came to the states and she
went to Austrailia.  But if any one out there knows Rozanne Zavelsky,
please tell her thank you from me.

If I knew how to contact you Rozanne, I'd say thank you personally and I
hope one day to have the chance. You have always had my deepest respect
and fondest admiration, and have been an inspiration.  You taught me
that there is no such thing as a cripple, save in the eyes of stupid
people who know no better. You overcame your own personal tragedy of
polio to become a role model,  friend, a music partner and a shoulder to
lean on. You taught me to look on adversity, not only as a challenge,
but as a joke - albeit a bad joke at times - but something that could be
laughed at and thus reduced in size.
  If it werent for you, Rozanne, I don't know  how I would deal with my
present situation.  For  you have set the example, and provided the
guidance, and shown me the pathway.
   You have taught me to laugh at myself!

Ivan, I broke down and cried when I read your letter.  But then I saw
this wacky picture in my mind of you watering and pollinating your
tomatoes...........Nuff said.
'Laugh and the world laughs with you,
Cry, and you cry alone'
Hilary Blue (49,16)